No matter where you live, no matter what your circumstances, there are opportunities for you to have a career as a makeup artist. Even if you don’t make a lot of money in the beginning on some of these ideas it’s about getting out there, being seen for your talent, passing out business cards and making connections.
If you have a dream of becoming a makeup artist and doing it the old-fashioned way by hitting the streets with your makeup kit in tow (not by YouTube tutorial videos), this list will hopefully get the idea gears going so you can see the limitless possibilities. Figure out what success looks like for you, find someone you can look up to and strive to be the best at what you do. Even if you’re just doing it on the weekends while you keep your day job, start where you are, everyone has to start somewhere!
First check with state regulations as some states may require you to have a license.
25 Ways to Make Money as a Makeup Artist:
- Wedding Makeup
- Engagement Photography Sessions
- Family Sessions
- Boudoir Sessions
- Makeup Lessons
- Real Estate Group Lesson
- Girls Night Out
- Prom and Jr. Prom
- Special Events (Charity Events, Balls)
- Group Lesson for Business Women Networking Groups
- Teen Makeup Lesson
- Commercial Work
- Television News Channel
- Production Work for Television and Videos
- Freelance at a Makeup Counter
- Start a Makeup Line or sell Multi-Level Marketing cosmetics
- Work at a Hair Salon
- Work at a Day Spa
- Teach Makeup at Esthetician or Cosmetology School
- Build a Team of Artists
- Sell Services/Makeup at Events and Shows
- Teach other Makeup Artists
- Hold a Master Class
- Makeup for Print Editorials
- Head Shot Photography Sessions
I hope this helps get you thinking outside the usual ways to make money as a makeup artist and helps you to see the immense number of opportunities we have in our communities!
(This post was originally posted on my Makeup by Kim Porter website on December 19, 2017.)